Is AC Maintenance Really Necessary?
Although the groundhog predicts six more weeks of winter across the country, Old Man Winter is going to have a tough time keeping warm temperatures from returning to Macon. Hot and humid days are right around the corner, so it’s time to ask yourself if your AC is going to work when you flip the switch sooner rather than later. Luckily, when you invest in regular maintenance visits for your home’s air conditioning system, you’ll have peace of mind that you’re ready to beat the heat this summer.
What’s Involved in AC Maintenance?
Even though your air conditioning system is designed to last 10 to 15 years, you’ll get optimal performance from your equipment if you have a professional perform a tune-up each year before the hot summer months kick in. If you have a heat pump that provides both heating and cooling for your home, you should add an additional tune-up before winter.
During the maintenance visit, the technician will do the following:
- Closely inspect all system components
- Check for wear and tear on belts and other moving parts
- Make minor adjustments and repairs
- Clean condenser coils
- Calibrate thermostat
- Inspect refrigerant levels and check for leaks
- Inspect operation of blower belt and motor
Why Should I Schedule Air Conditioning Maintenance?
Maintaining your air conditioner is the best way to ensure it will operate at peak output, reducing your energy bill and minimizing the chance of a costly breakdown. The main benefits include:
- Increased system performance
- Better efficiency
- Fewer repair visits
- Better air quality
- Longer system lifespan
- Better overall home comfort
You’ll enjoy additional benefits of annual or semi-annual maintenance of your air conditioner or packaged unit. These include:
- Environmental benefits – If you have a new air conditioner installed and then ignore it until it breaks down, the energy efficiency of the equipment will rapidly decline. Neglected HVAC equipment uses more energy to keep up with its intended temperature output. That puts strain on the unit and costs you money as energy is wasted.
- Better air quality – A properly maintained air conditioner translates to better air quality inside your home. An annual tune-up ensures that your air filters and ductwork are clean and free of pollutants that can cause allergies, asthma flare-ups, and other respiratory illnesses.
- Reduced fire risk – Any piece of equipment that uses electricity poses a potential fire hazard. Neglecting your air conditioning system could increase your chance of a house fire. From 2006-2010 there were 2,500 house fires directly related to HVAC equipment failure.
Regular air conditioner maintenance just makes sense—for your comfort, your safety, your health, and your pocketbook. Just as you take your car in for a tune-up, don’t forget that the expensive piece of equipment you rely on to keep you cool in your Macon home deserves the same TLC. If you’re interested in learning more about air conditioner maintenance for your Macon or Middle Georgia home, contact the professionals of Conditioned Air, Inc. today.